What keeps us going back?
On the surface, sometimes what we do is seemingly trivial. Sometimes, it seems all we have to do is guide the residents, keep an eye on them, and just accompany them.
Yet after the sessions, I still come away with a lighter heart. True, sometimes the contributions seem trivial, but maybe every little does help. There are many things in life -- things which we sometimes take for granted -- that they will never be able to do or know, but as a senior once said, we try to help them experience "the little wonders in life". After all, it's one thing to be merely alive, and another to really live -- to experience at least some of the joys life has to offer.
So, no contribution is really too trivial, in my opinion. Each person and each contribution may sometimes have little effect on their own, but the sum of our contributions makes a difference, keeps the activities running.
I think we all come away with some sense of fulfilment after the sessions. Personally, there have been times when I'd set out for a session feeling down or blue, and come away with a lighter heart. The sessions help me put things back into perspective, and give some meaning to my life.
So, though I can't speak for everyone, that's why I keep going back.
green
Monday, March 24, 2008
Contributed by mindsville (: at 5:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment