Sunday, October 7, 2007

Joy is Simple!

Firstly I want to thank the wonderful and capable girls of my committee for helping to set up everything for the MAF yesterday. Sorry I wasn’t able to be there to help out!


Secondly, I want to thank Ee Hiang and Sinhui (my pub team) for working together on this blog and the photos! Yay! Whoopee! Woohoo! Great job!


And thirdly, I also will like to thank Lixian for sharing something which is very close to my heart as well. When I first came to MINDSville as a volunteer just a little over a year ago, what got me over my initial apprehension (having never had much interaction with IDs before that) was sadly, not the volunteers (haha please don’t kill me), or because the programs were so wonderfully well planned out and fun. Rather, it was because of the residents themselves that I kept coming back, Saturday after Saturday, trying to never miss a session. I found that they are satisfied with the very simplest of things; be it carrying lanterns during MAF, swimming, musical chairs, arts and crafts or even very simple games, they always portray an outward semblance of happiness and enthusiasm. I realized that with these residents, I am never afraid to do stupid dances, to run around with them like a little kid during games, or to do high-5s with everybody. I am able to be myself during every visit, to put aside social perceptions because they offer no judgement on you. They have taught me how joy can be as simple as having people visit them and talk to them every week.


In life it can be the simplest things that are the easiest to forget. The residents of MINDSville remind me every week to never take things for granted, to cherish all the things that I have, because really, I have so much more than them. Most of all, they have shown me that really, happiness is not as complicated as what we think.


High fives to everyone! Enjoy the week ahead!


Wei Chung


P.S. Who is this loneLEE ah?

4 comments:

mindsville (: said...

yup! i suppose we cnt agree more with WC (haha...not because he is the chairperson)

-sinhui

mindsville (: said...

I... Am the terror that quaxks in the night!!!
I am a hacker XD

loneLEE

qwergo said...

Wah lao. Are you thomas? Haha

mindsville (: said...

Maybe I am *waves frantically and smiles at girls*
Or maybe I'm your Fairy Godmomma~
XD