Sunday, December 9, 2007

First Visit after Exams - 8 Dec 07

It had been quite a long time since I went back to Mindsville and things have changed a lot. This time, we split into three groups – singing/cooking/sports. So I was at the sports group. They were just starting to demonstrate the game when wei chung came along to ask people to go to the music station as they were short of people there.

Having not been to the music station before, I sort of understood why it was not quite a popular choice when I realized what we were supposed to do O_o Cos I realized.. gasp.. that volunteers have to sing along with the residents :O. But it was not so bad after all because everyone was just being so sporting, singing along that my initial self consciousness just disappeared.

At first everyone sang songs suggested by the residents (mainly thomas’ choice). They each held a compiled stack of lyrics consisting of both Chinese and English songs. We sang some modern songs like ‘专属天使' ‘老鼠爱大米' ‘better man’ as well as the classics like ‘top of the world’ and ‘yesterday once more’. Luckily I had sort of heard some of the newer Chinese songs before so I was sort of able to fake my way through. The atmosphere was light hearted and it was really a very enjoyable session.

Hmmm. Then the funfit for this week was something new. The high functioning residents had to verbally guide their volunteer, who was blindfolded, through an obstacle course. The activity for the low functioning group was less taxing for the volunteers :) A volunteer and resident pair had to balance a ball between them while going through the obstacle course. Being attached to lai hoi, we completed our turn quite quickly and so I had time to sit down and observe the high functioning groups. Quite entertaining actually :p

Besides the resident and blindfolded volunteer, there was also another volunteer to help the resident with providing directions. It must have been quite a bit of reassurance knowing that someone else is there to help out. But still, it didn’t stop accidents from happening ^_^ I saw blindfolded volunteers banging into chairs and kicking over the bottles on the ground. Not to mention sort of being stranded (while still blindfolded) when they reached the end of the course. Once there was someone giving a resident clarifications on directions, “ Your left is his right. Your right is his left.”

I learn something new each time... =)



s :)

0 comments: