Indeed, it's certainly been awhile since some of us (*cough* well, myself, at least) have been to MINDS, due to exam season and all. Upon returning for a regular visit, I was introduced to the changes in the programmes.
For the first half, the residents made handicraft, namely adorable little pouches of potpourri. These were intended for the upcoming Christmas celebrations, as presents for volunteers. (I'm not spoiling any surprises here, am I? Well, uh... I'm not, right?)
However, unlike previously, when each resident would make an entire piece of handicraft himself/herself, the residents are now grouped, and each group specialises in one part of the production process, similar to a factory assembly line. (Maybe it's just the time of year, but somehow, this evokes an image of Santa's toy factory, in my mind, at least...)
As the programmers explained, by allowing the residents to specialise in a particular step of the process, the residents will be able to hone a particular skill via repeated practice. Such mastering of a skill may come in useful to help them seek employment.
Well, the final product was certainly something to be proud of! Kudos to our residents!
During the second half, I followed the Red and Blue groups that day for some healthy competition in the form of Captain's Ball. However, it was Captain's Ball with an interesting little twist, as the residents were only allowed to move sideways (think of crabs), but not forwards or backwards.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
It's been awhile
The residents visibly enjoyed themselves while getting a healthy dose of exercise. It was also a good activity for inculcating a sense of teamwork, sportsmanship, and the ability to follow instructions.
Kudos, as always (though perhaps not mentioned quite enough), to the programmers. May the residents continue to learn useful new skills while still having fun!
~li ming
Contributed by csc mindsville at 4:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment