Thursday, April 17, 2008

Project on 12/4/08

Alright, the lack of work at the office is killing me! So I decided to blog bout last sat’s project to kill time…

Last sat was also Xinmin’s Homecoming Day. So we brought 6 residents (Roger, Ah Lye, Boon Chin, Christine, Siew Ying and Sothi) down to the carnival in the morn. It was super crowded, which made Christine (whom I was attached to) a little scared. But I think it was a good experience for her to venture out of her ‘comfort/safety’ zone and learn to be more independent, even in crowded places (of cos, I made sure I never lose sight of her).



A pity it started to rain like 15mins aft we arrived. So all of us had to 'chiong' and buy lots of food, before retreating to the canteen for shelter.

Aft eating, we headed to the games stalls. I think everyone did try out the stall with the ever-so-cruel ‘catch the fishes’ game. Our residents are so pro! They can catch at least 5 fishes in the given time. I recall playing the same game years ago, and I managed to only catch 3 fishes with my frens. Our residents bu jian tan de! On another note, I noticed that the teacher actually put in big blocks of ice into the pool to increase the water level! SO INHUMAN OK!

After the fish stall, Christine went to get her nails done while the others went to buy balloons for all the residents under TH and CW.


Can you see Christine's nails?

Guess what happened to the fishes?
Those that made it alive back to MV were released into the pond there.


Also, thanks to all the vols who pulled in their $ to buy the balloons. Although the helium balloons were $2 each, it was all worth it if you get to see the excitement and smiles on the residents’ faces.

Kong Pok was really excited with his balloon! You can see his video at this link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cscmindsville/ProjectOn12408/photo#5188573158422325554

On to normal project: Funfit 1! I went to art and crafts that day with Moi Kwee where we learnt to make flowers. See the one in her hand? We had to draw out a flower and leaves, colour them and cut them out, before sticking them on straws (the stems).


And we had station games for Funfit 2. We had stations where..


you spin around and around an umbrella (Felix was so mean to make residents spin extra),



bowl (didnt get a shot of the pins),
and another 2 stations where you thrown balls to knock down cans and thrown balls into a pail placed on some chairs.

We also uncovered some hidden talent among our residents on sat.


You can’t see the face, but it’s Meng Ai, who could be a soccer star one day (her skills are better than mine!)

And Kong Pok, who had let go of his balloon and made it come back down a few mins later.


Look! It’s coming down! (Not the red one, but a beige one that’s not in the pic)

The stations I’ve been to for FF 1 and 2 are basically quite straightforward and quiet (cos many vols didn’t come today) but personally, I really enjoyed the session as it has been a really long time since I had actually sat down with a resident or accompanied them for so long to do something. It’s a feeling I have missed for a long time and somehow, it reminded me of my first few months volunteering at MV and that it is this sort of interaction, a simple ‘thank you’, a smile, a ‘hi-five’ or even a “hello jie jie” that makes me wanna come back again and again. Hope that this sat will be the same!

P.S. I think I missed out a lot of stations for both FF 1 and 2, so someone update on them ok? By the way, here’s the links for the videos for some interesting things that happened between the carnival and project.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cscmindsville/ProjectOn12408/photo#5188558997915150626
http://picasaweb.google.com/cscmindsville/ProjectOn12408/photo#5188591171515165010
http://picasaweb.google.com/cscmindsville/ProjectOn12408/photo#5188579682477648194

And to all those having their exams now, all the best!


Cheers,
Sam

0 comments: